Monday, June 11, 2012

snow in June?

SNOW DAY IN TAIWAN!!!!


Ok, so it doesn't actually snow here. Especially not in June. It just rains excessively to the point of closing all schools in Taipei, so I'm home all day. I'd be ridiculously pumped, but I actually get paid by the hour here, so that means I lose a full day of pay. And I'm super broke currently. You know why? Because I bought my effing flight back home this week, that's why!


That's right, after 2 years of not setting foot on American soil, I will be making my triumphant return late on August 18th. To make matters even more awesome, I got a basically free flight to Korea on the way back. Because a one-way flight from Taipei to Chicago or Grand Rapids costs approximately one first born child, it's around the same price to book a flight from Taipei to Seoul and then Seoul to GR. FREE VACATION!


With the economy in Spain looking worse by the week, and still hearing no word from the Spanish government (keep in mind they told me they'd make placements in mid-April), Australia is looking like the next plan. What am I going to do there? Fuck if I know. And fuck if I care. Bar-tending for 6 months near the beaches of Melbourne (my hopeful destination, though it's too far off to decide ) sounds WAY better than any big girl job I'd get back home. And with a minimum wage of 15$/hour there, Australia sounds pretty appealing now.


*************
I haven't been doing anything super exciting in Taiwan recently. Really, now that I have a Chinese tutor and a gym membership, the only things I do are work, study, and workout. I'm mentally ready to go home. I do really love teaching my students and will miss them greatly, and I think Taiwan is a fantastic country with lovely people, but I'm ready to go home.


Now that I think about it, I did go to the beach a few weeks back and attempt surfing again. I went last year to Yilan beach in the north of Taiwan, and decided it was time to head back and try my hand at surfing again.



Now for the pictures of me surfing!
Oh wait. I couldn't even get up on the board. Once.


Oh well, I guess there'll be plenty of time to learn in Australia...




************************************************************
Update, I just got this e-mail.


The Taiwan Central Weather Bureau has issued an island-wide “Extremely Heavy Rain Advisory” with the central and southern regions of the island expected to be hardest hit. Heavy rains are expected to continue across Taiwan into the weekend. The Taipei City Government has announced closing of roads and businesses effective immediately. The strong possibility of flash flooding and landslides exist, especially in the mountainous central areas of the island. All American citizens in Taiwan are strongly advised to avoid unnecessary travel and to monitor local media outlets for the latest news and instructions.


Geesh, apparently the weather is much worse than I thought here!

No comments:

Post a Comment