Time for some Taiwan lovin'.
The US and Taiwan have COMPLETELY different systems of health care. Here's Taiwan's case: On Monday, I walked by a health clinic on my lunch break (I work at two schools and have to walk between them) and decided on a whim to visit a doctor. I had been feeling weak and tired with cold-like symptoms for a long time and didn't seem to be getting better. I walked in, no appointment, and saw a doctor within minutes. He told me what I had (acute upper respiratory infection), prescribed 6 different types of medicine, and sent me off to get an injection from a nurse. After the shot, I walked up to the pharmacy counter at the clinic and grabbed my medicine. The whole process took less than 15 minutes and I spent less than 10 US$. Again, I had no appointment and just walked in because I happened to pass by the clinic on my walk to work.
I compare that to back home, where I recently read an article about a man with a spotless criminal record who robs a bank in North Carolina for 1 US$ just so he can get the free healthcare in prison. He was THAT desperate.
What?
I don't understand why we have such terrible health care and I especially don't understand why so many of our citizens are against changing our current system.
I'm so spoiled here; how will I ever be able to go back?

No comments:
Post a Comment