Ni hao.
I joined a gym yesterday. I felt so proud of myself. It's quite cheap - it was 100$ to start up and 30$ a month after that. Today I joined a yoga class conducted entirely in Chinese. Weird. It wasn't bad - I had no clue what was going on a lot of the time, but I just watched the instructor and stayed in the back.
After training for forever and observing for the past week, I finally started teaching today!!
I had two classes. The first class was Step Ahead 12, which are students about age 9-10. They were really well behaved and almost too quiet. Until, that is, I brought up Lady Gaga. That got them talking, and singing Bad Romance. Nothing like Gaga Ooh La La to break your kids out of their shells.
The second class I taught was Kid's Club 7, which were students about 7-8. They were a little noisy and naughty, but not terrible. THEY ARE ADORABLE. Especially cute little Reggie, who sits in the front and punches himself in the face all the time because of his severe ADD he must have. I pulled them outside to give them oral tests, and one little girl said after her test, "teacher Robin, you are very beautiful" (pronounced boot-ee-full). Aaaaw, 100% for you, little girl! The kids stare at me all the time like I'm some freak, but it's just because I'm so tall, have blue eyes, white skin, and light hair. I'm glad this girl took me for beautiful instead of freakish, as I suspect the others do.
After teaching, I treated myself to pearl tea, which is my new guilty pleasure. The tea man knows me and the other girl at my branch by face and we just order "the usual". Pretty awesome. I doubt there are many white girls that come to the tea stand, considering the entire menu is in Chinese.
Day off tomorrow... woohoo!
Hasta luego bitches
Hi Robin,
ReplyDeleteI accidentally came across your blog while browsing in the forumosa website...The dating advice for white girls forum I think it's called...Interesting & funny :)...Hope you are still having fun...you seem like a cool person, so as another female foreigner in Taipei, Taiwan, I'd say keep writing more blogs you just may never know who would read them :)
A 6ft 2 Caribbean girl,
Elona