I've decided that traveling and living abroad is a roller coaster with crazy, intense highs and lows. Some days I absolutely adore Taiwan and love the adventures that have come with this new chapter of my life. Other days I wonder what I was smoking when I signed up to live in a country half-way around the world where I don't speak the language and don't know a soul. Actually, I'm not sure if a roller coaster is the best metaphor since I love the adrenaline rush of a plummeting roller coaster and that's not really my point... maybe Taiwan is one of those old, rickety wooden roller coasters that jerk you around and you only enjoy at some points? A roller coaster that jerks you so much that the photo stand workers have to delete the picture they snap of you mid-plummet because certain parts of you may have popped out of your tank-top amongst the intense jerking (a true story, sadly)? Whatever the hell the metaphor is, the moral of the story is that Taiwan makes me become bipolar.
The manic / top of the roller coaster feeling is amazing. Although much of my blog posts are filled sarcasm and mockery of the randomness of Taiwanese culture, I hope readers can tell that I'm mostly really enjoying myself. I ADORE those awkward moments, like when I went pants shopping with a friend and when he asked for a new pants size, the owner showed us her potty-trained rabbit who lived in the store. Or like the student I met yesterday who wanted his English name to be "whale". You can't find weirdos like that in the States. Well, we have plenty of weirdos, but you know what I mean. Taiwanese awkwardness is a new level that I am thoroughly enjoying exploring.
I also *think* I like my new job. I think, but I'm not 100% sure. I do like teaching better here than I did teaching Spanish in the USA while I was student teaching. Maybe it's because I teach younger students, maybe it's because teachers are much more respected here than in the United States; whatever it is, I enjoy teaching more. I'm getting the hang of it more as I approach my third week of actual teaching.
I don't even mind that I got bit by a poisonous spider and had to go to the doctor's to get injected by who knows what to regain circulation in my fingers. Now that the bite is healed, it's kind of funny. Like really, WTF, I'm just about the only person I know who'd get bit by a poisonous spider. I got bit in my bedroom too, not even some place exciting like a crazy safari or at some lab where they accidentally created Spiderman.
However, the roller coaster cart has to come down sometime / jerk you around / bipolar meds stop working / [insert other idiom for feeling upset]. There are some really low lows here too. After spending a fantastic night in Taichung, for example, I hopped on the bus to LuZhou. Mid-bus ride, the bus driver stopped the bus and yelled something in Chinese. He forced everyone to vacate the bus and left us in B.F.E. Mind you, this is around 10:30pm, when that bus could quite possibly be the last bus. We could have been in Japan for all I knew. Ok, not Japan since the bus was not driven by Miss Frizzle and it did not suddenly gain powers of extreme awesomeness to fly across the ocean (Magic School Bus anyone?), but you catch my drift. I was lost. I blindly followed most of the group onto another bus that passed by that I did not recognize. The bus also does not usually say where it is stopping in English. I kind of know the Chinese symbol for LuZhou: if you squish your eyes, it looks like a computer and a side-ways injection. I searched for computer/side-ways injection but didn't find it. I probably looked absolutely terrified because someone extremely kind asked me in English if I knew where I was going. "Absolutely not". She tried to ask the bus driver and look on the maps for me, but since I only knew one street of the intersection of my bus stop, I couldn't give her much information. She ended up telling me to get off at a stop "in LuZhou". I figured I could take a taxi from there.
Even though I was in LuZhou, I was so frustrated. Recounting my tale now, this seems not-so-bad, but during I was absolutely terrified. Here I was, poor white girl who can't speak Chinese, clutching her weekend belongings, practically shaking, scared because she has no idea where she is and it's too late for her to be walking alone with no sense of direction.
Here is the stupid part. The bus actually dropped me off in a place I have walked by at least 20 times on my way to work. In the darkness and my confidence that I was 100% lost, I didn't recognize it. At this point, I was literally sobbing in the middle of the street in my frustration.
I hailed a taxi to drop me off at my school, because I had that address written down in Chinese (this is how complicated things are here. Unlike Spanish or German that you could butcher a "donde esta el metro?" and people would know what you mean, the tonal language of Chinese is much more complicated. Anyone who isn't at least at intermediate Chinese skills has to show non-English speakers the actual Chinese characters because chances are, they won't understand you). The taxi driver said something to me in Chinese that was probably something to the extent of "you dumbass, you are on this street right now". The meter started at 70NT$ and stopped at 75NT$ one minute later (equivalent of a 15 cent difference), when he dropped me off down the street. Then I handed him a 100$ and he ripped me off with my change, just to kick me while I was down. Thanks.
The moral of this story is I really want to ride the magic school bus now, and also that stupid stuff happens that probably wouldn't happen back home because I (usually) know what is going on. Had I gotten lost in Holland, I could have called someone, looked up google maps on my phone, stopped at a gas station and asked directions, etc. I don't have those options here. I'm on my own and when I'm fucked, all I have to rely on is luck. Additionally, I'm out of my comfort zone, so minor disturbances become major here. Everything becomes extremes, and in this case, it was an extreme suckfest.
The point of this blog was not to complain and for you to offer me "some cheese with that whine" (uhhhhh cheese I miss you so badly whydidiremindmyselfofcheese), but just so you can have a more complete picture of my life here. Yes, I am living in extreme awesomeness, but it also extremely sucks sometimes.
It could be worse; I could be starting classes now.
Suckers.
No comments:
Post a Comment